Pages

Tuesday 30 December 2014

Out With The Old, In With The New Year


When I first started to really get into makeup at the age of 15, I had the mindset of wanting everything. I was watching these makeup collection videos of beauty gurus on YouTube and wanted to just try everything and have everything. After reading Allison's blogpost of her new minimalistic outlook, I realized I was having the same crisis in my life. I just had way too much stuff!

Above is the start of my makeup purge. I admit I am a bit of a hoarder and have a slightly hard time letting go of stuff (i.e. I still have magazines from 2008). However, I realized through my purge that most of the stuff I'm tossing is stuff I bought on an impulse (usually at some manufacturer sale) and didn't actually enjoy that much. As a result, I never got my value out of this stuff because I just didn't end up liking nor using it.

I don't think I'll ever be a full-on minimalist (at least not yet), but I see this change as exactly what Allison stated in her blog, "it's not about owning as little as possible, but only what you really use and love". With this in mind, it's more about the value you feel you can derive from the item. So in this upcoming year, the next time I'm choosing between buying an item that I really want and will get good use out of but costs a bit more, versus cheaper impulse purchases on items I'll use once; I'll be a lot more conscious about what I'm buying and whether it's something I would actually derive value from, or if it's something that will just collect dust in a week.



No comments:

Post a Comment